Expressions of interest are now open for student leaders to join the organising team for the first ITEANZ Transportation Student Leadership Summit.
The first summit, to be held in Victoria in September, will bring together students and professionals to share insights about careers and trends in transportation; pitch their research ideas, and meet their colleagues from across the State. The summit will be held over half a day with networking and a transport-themed quiz tournament in the evening. ITE is seeking organised and engaged leaders to join the student-led organising team. Apply by midnight, Friday May 4 by completing the online application.
What is a Student Leadership Summit?
Founded in North America four years ago, the Summits and Traffic Bowl tournaments offer students of transportation and related disciplines the opportunity to learn from each other and from the industry.
In conjunction with the summit, a transport and traffic-themed quiz tournament in the style of “Jeopardy”, famously known as “Traffic Bowl” in North America, will also be staged. With a multi-year plan to extend the SLS to students across Australia and New Zealand; and to send ANZ teams to the ITE Global Tournament, now is your opportunity to join a team that will pioneer a gateway opportunity for transportation students for years to come!
The pilot conference will be held over an afternoon and evening in September, 2018. Possible inclusions in the conference program are.
– Student research pitches and/or posters
– Keynote speakers
– Industry panel
– Opportunities to socialise with students from other Melbourne universities
– Pub trivia, with ‘traffic bowl’ style questions
– Opportunity for networking at Pub trivia
Check out the itinerary from Oregon’s SLS for a bit more insight into what an SLS is all about.
Professional Development and Networking Opportunities
The team will work closely with representatives from the Board of the Institute of Transportations Engineers, with universities, and professionals in the transportation industry. You will have the opportunity to design your role around skills you would like to develop, your expertise and your interests. These should be outlined in your application form. International outreach will also form part of the organisational responsibilities, as we seek to deliver a model that was first undertaken in USA, and which we hope to extend to our colleague in the Global ITE District. (Visit ITE’s Global District website for more information on ITE’s structure).
Major responsibilities of the team fall into the themes of project management, outreach and finances. Team members will have autonomy to take on responsibilities that interest them, but will be aligned to one of the three project subgroups.
– Maintaining an up to date project plan and monitoring progress
– Developing and distributing meeting agendas
– Reporting and succession planning
– Development of event program
– Management of registrations
– Oversee catering and logistics
– Compose traffic bowl quiz questions in conjunction with ITE
– Develop sponsorship pack
– Contract management (sponsors, venues, catering)
– Industry (speaker and attendee) liaison
– Social media and news media
– Liaison with universities
– Distribute invitations/promotional materials to attendees
– Monitor registrations
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
– Enrolled in a Victorian university degree,
– Available to attend the inaugural team meeting on Thursday 10 May,
– Able to dedicate four hours per week to the organising role; and
– Available to meet fortnightly, (virtual attendance will be possible, with each meeting being streamed on Google Hangouts).
Note: It is not necessary to be enrolled in a transport-related degree.
Membership of ITE is preferred but not essential. The first year of membership is free for students. For more information, visit the student membership portal
To express your interest in joining the team, complete the online application form. Please refer to the eligibility conditions, role descriptions, and information about the Student Leadership Summit and Traffic Bowl concepts (below) before applying.
Applications will be accepted until midnight, Friday 4 May, 2018.
Successful applicants will be notified on Monday 7 May, and be available to attend the inaugural meeting on Thursday 10 May.
If you would like more information, email email@example.com